Saturday, January 27, 2007

 

Carolina vs. U of A? I'm rooting for...the terrorists

Basketball season. In these dark, cold days of winter, I'm relegated to watching other schools live out their hardwood dreams against one another without pointing to next season or a different sport all together. (18 days until pitchers and catchers report!) In a matchup today televised by CBS, my nemesis/the son of Hitler Lute Olson takes his Arizona team up against my childhood nemesis, the UNC Tar Heels.

I lived in small town in North Carolina between 1985 and 1990, when the ACC ruled the college basketball universe. While the majority of the population was swept up in the power struggle between Jimmy V's Wolfpack and Dean Smith's Tar Heels, I quietly pulled for a young Coach Krzyzewski and his clean cut Blue Devil squad. As they rose to prominence in the late 80's and early 90's and NCSU slowly slid into obscurity, Duke replaced the Pack as Carolina's chief rival and I learned to hate the Heels. While Duke doesn't interest me all that much anymore, I still hold a hatred for Carolina close to my heart.

Today is a tough day, but I will be cheering for the powder blue bitches when the game tips off in Tucson. It doesn't happen often, but exceptions must be made in arduous times. I have thought long and hard of times like these where I would be forced to root for U of A, and nothing I can think of (short of the threat of prison gang rape) could lead me to don the cardinal and navy. I hate them with every cell in my body, and nothing can ever change that.

UPDATE!!! Carolina wins 92-64, handing Lute his worst home loss during his tenure in Browntown. Go Heels!!! Wooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe ASU basketball is so bad that I'm relegated to rooting for U of A's opponents. Someone should be making fun of me for this one.


I looked for game photos on azcentral.com and this was the one they had displayed to match the headline "North Carolina drills Arizona." Awesome.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?